Leafy Greens and Rice Casserole (Gluten Free, Soy Free)
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice (I used the Jubilee Blend from Lundberg for its nutty taste and variety of different rices: Wehani, Black Japonica, short and medium grain red rice, short and long grain brown rice, and sweet rice. Yum!)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1 lb. mixed greens, stemmed and finely chopped (I used mostly lacinato kale with some arugula and swiss chard thrown in, but feel free to use any kind you like.)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 15-oz can of beans (Chickpeas hold a special place in my heart, but use your favorite kind.)
Combine the rice in a medium-sized saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute the onion for 5-8 minutes until soft and translucent. Add your preferred greens and garlic and cook until the greens reduce down in size (this will depend on the type of green you use. For kale, it took about 7-10 minutes, but for more delicate greens like spinach it should only take about 5). Add the rice, beans, seasonings, and sunflower seeds. Stir well to mix.
Transfer the rice/greens mixture to an 8″x 8″ baking dish and bake uncovered for 40 minutes until lightly browned on top.